martedì 23 ottobre 2007

We're Safe, No Evacuation

We are safe and sound (knock on wood). Fires continue to burn out of control. Tons of houses have burned. We are so lucky on this one. You can get the latest fire news here. I went down to the biggest evacuation center this morning. I was certainly willing to help out, but there were already too many volunteers. So I just poked around a bit and allowed myself to indulge by absorbing the outpouring of human support and generosity. I was particularly taken by a 9 year old girl walking through the parking lot with her mom. They were both carrying big bags of goods to donate. The little girl carried a bag full of Kotex boxes. How can all this good will be captured for additional issues...especially causes less photogenic than major natural disasters in our own back yards?

1 commento:

W ha detto...

Have you ever been in that kind of Katrina-esque disaster area / stadium home / refugee area before? Glad you are ok.