venerdì 5 ottobre 2007

Bad Shock Jocks

First it was Don and Mike, then the Greaseman and Howard Stern. After high school, however, I was largely cut off from morning shock jock shows. This morning, I found myself in the car and I ran into a second-tier group of shock jocks on a radio station whose call letters and location on the dial are a total mystery to me. This is all to say, I got a tasty dose of dirty, white guys and their female sidekick on morning talk radio today. Two of the bits: 1. A divorced guy in his mid-40s interviews other middle-aged divorced dudes on the air -- in search of friends. They called it "hit on soft-spoken Mike." Dudes called in and described their love of old cars, garage bands from the 1970s, and shared horrible ex-wife stories. One guy had been forced by his then wife to sell off 10 classic old cars. As soon as he is done paying the lawyer bills for the divorce, he'll start collecting cars again. The two seemed to bond over this point, and they plan to go play pool together this weekend. 2. Sexualizing the female staff and interns never gets old at FM radio stations. Two women from the station had a week of training with the cheerleaders from the local professional football team. Today, Friday, was the final event. The two women, dressed in Brittany Spears outfits, both performed their memorized dance routines before a crowd. They were evaluated by the Charger Girls and ranked by the response of the crowd. Unfortunately, I only had time to hear the first round of the competition. I don't know what happened in the freestyle round. As Brittany says, "I'm not that innocent." PS: If you check out the Charger Girls site, you'll see they are all exactly the same from the chin down. Kinda weird.

3 commenti:

Kelly O ha detto...

I can never distinguish one blond beauty queen from another. It's the weirdest thing, I'm face blind to them all. Seriously, they all look the same to me, though I'm sure there are variations in nose or ... whatever. Maybe there isn't.

Heather Jensen ha detto...

I'm face blind too. Amy thinks its because I'm too vain to wear my glasses except for driving. I think it's a different kind of myopia. & daniel, I lurv your blog!!!!

Daniel ha detto...

Kelly, you reminded me of something I heard from a manager at a TV news station here in San Diego. He said he feels bad for gorgeous blond women...because so many of them apply for TV anchor jobs. "Just another blond beauty..."

Hi Heather!!!!