giovedì 4 ottobre 2007

Indian Summer

I know I shouldn't do it, but I've got a song on repeat on my ipod. In fact, I've had a near music monoculture today. I listening to "Indian Summer" by Beat Happening right now. I've got a case of what they call "acorn fever." I'm not sure who came up with the term, but I've seen it used to describe the desire for an East Coast fall when you live in Southern California. But then again, I did sit outside at 3 PM in the shade and ate a cranberry scone without the slightest chill. And, I overheard a funny conversation. Two undergrads ran into each other. A dude and a dude-ette. Both attractive. He wants to go to dental school, she doesn't know what she wants. They met at a party last year through the dude-ette's former roomate. After a typical back-to-campus catch up conversation about roomates, tentative career plans and "adjustment periods," the inevitable happend. Dude-ette: "You should come by our house sometime and hang out." Dude was totally into it. Dude-ette: "You have [roomate's] number right?" Dude: a tentative yes, followed by a request to exchange numbers. Number exchange occurs in the following way: Dude calls Dude-ette's phone. Copious talk about actually calling, meeting, hanging. Akward silence followed by verbalization of what is in both minds: "Oh my god! I can't believe it's been a year already. How ARE you? We were totally supposed to hang out! I've got to go, but give me a call. You still have my number, right?" Laughing. Promises that that will not happen this time. Dude-ette walks off with phone pressed to hear. Who is she calling now? PS: Acorn Fever is a total misnomer. There are lots of acorns in Southern California. That's because there are lots of oak trees in California. Well in the places where they have not been cut down and replaced with tacky prefab cabins with fake log-cabin siding. But maybe log-cabin siding is better for the environment that real logs. PPS: I love this Onion article

Nessun commento: