lunedì 14 gennaio 2008

squash soup take 2

My first hot meal of 2008 was squash soup that Martin made for Peter and I in Amsterdam. We had just returned from a walk along the North Sea and I was cold and fighting a cold. In the time it took me to pack up my bags and take a shower, Martin made an amazing squash soup that he served with whole wheat bread that he'd thrown in the oven to warm up.

I was blown away by the soup and asked him how he made it.

Just like every other good cook in the world, he was like, "it's so simple you just blah blah blah..."

But this time, I actually tuned in and remembered most of what he said (I think).

The following Sunday, the first day back in San Diego, I was so jet lagged that I was like "If I don't cook, I'm going to fall asleep."

So I tried the soup. The problem is that I fried too munch onion in too much oil for far too long. The soup felt heavy and oniony and was hard to digest. But edible nonetheless.

Last night, after an afternoon at the beach, I cracked open a beer and tried again. This time, I used much less onion and fried the oil/onion/potato/squash combo for less time. Then, like the first time, I added water, veggie bullion, salt and pepper and cooked till tender. Then I threw the hot mess in the blender for a sec, returned it to the pot and added a cup of milk, stirred and served.

It wasn't as good as martin's but it's getting better. I think i undercooked the squash a bit.

Emilio my farmer's market buddy and mexican equivalent of Ivano's dad grew the squash.

5 commenti:

W ha detto...

mmmm squash soup. Whole Foods has a good squash soup, but my guess is that yours and Martin's is better!

Anonimo ha detto...

You forgot the secret ingredient: sherry. Keep trying!

Kelly O ha detto...

Wow, that looks amazing.

Sherry! Genius.

Daniel ha detto...

Martin's is better. I'm not so sure about mine. Thanks for the Sherry reminder, Martin.

W ha detto...

I love the punctuation in Kelly's comment. Here's why:
option 1: Sherry? Genius!
option 2: Sherry...Genius!
option 3 (and the clear winner for its certainty and exuberance):
Sherry! Genius.

makes me happy