domenica 11 maggio 2008

TV Tag

Did I really just make a TV tag reference?

I guess so.

But what is "TV tag" anyway?

I totally agree. It sounds like some weird STD that you only get in massage parlors in and around Hollywood. It's the unhappy ending to a San Fernando "happy ending" from some guy named Fernando. TV tag is the transmission of "TV" -- a nasty bug that spreads from intense skin to skin contact that has been traced to the set of a soap opera set in The Valley.

And as I was doing my research on "TV tag" I learned that it's also the name for a game that kids used to play in the 1980s before cable, video game consoles or the Internet...back when kids used to actually play outside.

In this version of American English, "TV tag" referred to a game in which you could save yourself from getting frozen by yelling the name of a TV show right before you got tagged by the person who was "it." (Note, this was before IT became the acronym for Information Technology).

As previously mentioned, TV tag is a derivation of "freeze tag" which itself has a rich tradition in Post-Carter/Pre-Internet America (PCPIA), among pre-pubescent kids (PPKs). In fact, it was after one particulary engaging game of freeze tag that I got some memorable birds-and-the-bees information. It seems that babies are made when you urinate in a woman's private parts.

3 commenti:

Amanda ha detto...

WE used to play tv tag all the time, but I had totally forgotten about it! Another form of tag we used to play included dragging all of the lawn toys out of storage and scattering them all across the lawn. Each toy was it's own "base". So, rather than one "base", you had a bunch, and then you ran from base to base trying not to get tagged by "it". This game also morphed into the crocodile game, where you pretended the grass was crocodiles, and jumped from toy to toy without touching the grass. And look, now you are getting "tagged" with memes!

Daniel ha detto...

I just don't see kids playing TV tag these days...now that there is so much more media available...why choose TV?

it's funny how we go from TV tag to blog meme tagging :)

BTW, the crocodile game sounds totally fun. I'm going to mention it in my yoga class tonight b/c there is a crocodile pose where you get in plank and then bounce around like a crocodile. have you done it in yoga class?

W ha detto...

First, I HAD to click where the link said "urinate in a woman's private parts" out of sheer curiosity.
: )
Second, I remember a version of tag where to "untag" someone you had to crawl between their legs...hmmm

I don't remember TV tag, but as a concept it sounds pretty easy? no?