domenica 11 maggio 2008

Todd's quote meme

So, I finally came up with a quote for Todd's quote meme that he tagged me with so long ago that it almost seems as long ago as when I was playing "freeze tag" and "tv tag" in the backyard on Glenville Road.

The quote is from Martin Luther King and I got it from the May 19 issue of The Nation. It's an article from Scott Saul about three new MLK books. The article is called "Sweet Martin's Badass Song". Hat tip to Ivano for the quote.

The quote:

"It's a nice thing to say to a man, 'Lift yourself by your own bootstraps,' but it's a cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself up by his own bootstraps."

UPDATE (20 mins after orig post): Ivano just emailed me the following info regarding the MLK quote:
speech title "Remaining Awake Through a Great Revolution"

/Delivered at the National Cathedral, Washington, D.C., on 31 March 1968. Congressional Record, 9 April 1968./

Hmm...I'm supposed to tag some folks to keep this quote meme going, so I am going to tag Wonga and I'm going to tag myself, just because I really like touching myself.

Nessun commento: