giovedì 15 maggio 2008

last monday

On Monday, I took the afternoon off of work and drove out to the desert to tell the California Public Utilities Commission that I thought SDG&E should NOT build a huge high power transmission line through Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

when it was my time to talk, i got up there and promptly ignored all the notes I'd been scribbing as to what I was going to say. After a pregnant pause in which I almost started crying, I spent one minute trying to explain to the commission why the "Christmas and Easter Anza Borregans" would be deeply hurt if the powerline goes through the park. A "Christmas and Easter Anza Borregan" is someone who lives in southern california and comes out in the spring to Anza Borrego to see the wildflowers, and then drives back and promply ignores the park for an entire year. These people have no idea that the park is in jeapordy. And half of them have probably been Greenwashed by SDG&E into thinking that the powerline is a good thing.

So i tried to tell the commission that the park offers an incredible connection to something much much bigger to humanity...and that thousands upon thousands of people who are not otherwise engaged with the natural world actually take advantage of this connection. And descecrating this place would leave a gaping hole in our collective psyche....or something like that.

I now have a much deeper appreciation for all the other people who spoke at the hearing. Most people were so much more relaxed, articulate and coherent. I have a lot to learn.

There was only one other clearly homosexual speaker against the powerline. (if you'd heard my tone of voice, there would have been no doubt)

The other gay guy had a very interesting idea that he wanted to get across. He came up with a photo album with pictures of strangers from 100 years ago. He was like "I have no idea who any of these people are. And I also don't know who the people are who did all the work to make sure this park was created and protected, almost 100 years ago. I don't have any kids, and I don't think I ever will. But I want to be remembered anonymously. I want to be one of those anonymous people that a generation or two in the future will thank for protecting the park when it was in such danger in the early 21st century. Now please, vote no. Deny SDG&E the permission to destry this park. Make us those anonymous people who will be remembered in 100 years."

The administrative law judge who was running the hearing jumped in at this point and said, jokingly, "You'll be remembered! Your testimony is part of the official record."

Well...I certainly hope he gets his wish and that he is remembered 100 years from now for saving the park...because I hope the park is still here in 100 years, more or less in the same condition as it is now.

1 commento:

W ha detto...

You'll be remembered too, and I think it is awesome that you are working to protect the park from the power hungry power company