sabato 8 marzo 2008

urban hike: mexican taco stand

As my hike wore on, I grew determined to find an authentic hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant. You'd think they'd be all over, but they're not. I walked past a failed upscale coffee joint called "Chicano perk" and an abandoned and for-sale art deco movie theater. I found psychics, flower shops and even a tool shop that can only be accessed via a leather store. I discovered an old fashioned ice cream parlor that still makes its own ice cream and the storefront of a company that will take care of all your family auction needs (not sure if that meant selling people or possessions...and this close to the border, it may mean both. Human trafficking is real in these parts...but I digress.) I was obsessed with an authentic Mexican food experience. I'd been listening to Spanish all day and it made me hungry. Yes, hearing a sales pitch for synthetic oil that costs 2o bucks more than the usual blend makes me hungry, when I'm running on empty and the conversation is in Spanish. after crossing from chula vista to national city and national city to south san diego. After going under a long and dark underpass and crossing strange military properties, I told myself. One more light. I'll walk to the next light...way up yonder...and if I don't see anything promising I'm turning back. There was an Italian place that was dark and cavernous and totally scary that I was going to try if I couldn't find a decent taco. but I didn't have to brave the spooky pizza joint. Just before the next light...with the san diego skyline far in the northern sky, I saw hand painted yellow taco shop sign nestled between two car detailing places.

2 commenti:

W ha detto...

how were the authentic tacos??

Daniel ha detto...

tan fastic