giovedì 14 febbraio 2008

todd's meme number 5

I've had a thing for porcelain and marble ever since I was a little kid.

last Saturday, during my North Park meander, I stopped in a couple of thrift stores. In the first, I satisfied my marble and porcelain fetishes for a price tag of $3.50.

The marble wine cooler was three bucks and the ashtray stolen from a cruise line was a whopping 50 cents.

the marble fetish has at least two primary sources:
1. The marble trophy bases from various swimming, basketball and acrobatics teams.

2. The second marble fetish source: catholic churches. No matter what church I went to, I ranked its value and worth based on how much marble was inside. Marble altar good. Carpeted altar bad. Carved marble benches on the altar: VERY good. Wooden benches: bad. Upholstered benches: horrible. I still remember the disappointment I felt the day that I realized the big "marble" rectangular boxes flanking the side stairways to the altar at St. Bernadette's were in fact fake marble.

The porcelain fetish comes from just one source, I think. My mom's obsession with danish porcelain plates and figurines.

1 commento:

W ha detto...

$3.50 can't be beat!
(unless it was $3.49 or lower)