venerdì 1 febbraio 2008

I'm teaching yoga again

I started teaching yoga in a studio four Tuesdays ago. It feels so good to be back in the studio as a teacher. Not only is it a lot of fun to try to share what I have learned about yoga in the last 6.5 years, but it's good for my personal yoga practice (I try to practice what I preach).

It is especially satisfying to be teaching at Sean's studio, FourSeasonsYoga.com

Sean is the yoga teacher who died in a freak car accident on December 28, 2006. His parents have been running the studio ever since. Last night, Sean's parents sold the studio to Jenny, the new owner. Jenny and Sean both practiced up at Tim Miller's studio in Encinitas. Jenny is good people and wants to remain true to Sean's vision for the studio...which to me means love, laughther, fun, community and good old fashioned sweaty yoga asana time!!!

I took Jenny's primary series class on Weds night. The practice led me to feel energized and at peace. The studio is still Sean's creature....but of course now it is also Jenny's. And as with every studio, it also belongs to all the students...past present and future.

Sean put so much of himself into the studio and into his role as teacher and guide, guardian and go-to-guy for the yoga tribe that sprouted up in his presence. Sean is gone but he is still here. He inspired so many in just 31 years.

And he created a damn-nice space. The wood floor is spring loaded. The room gets warm but not stuffy. There is both natural light and privacy. It's a sweet place to practice.

So, if you come to visit San Diego or if you live here, take a class at FourSeasonsYoga.com and catch Sean O'Shea's optimistic wave...

You'll be glad you did.

2 commenti:

Kelly O ha detto...

I wish I could visit your studio. It sounds lovely.

W ha detto...

I want to do yoga with you there too!
maybe you could film a yoga instructional video?