giovedì 12 novembre 2009

Holiday Bargains and Thrift Stores

One of those things that always sticks in my mind is a year-after-college conversation I had with a New York based fashion-designer friend of a girlfriend (now wife) of a high school friend of mine.

I was talking up the wonders of thrift store shopping...Matt had taught me to thrift in college. And this fashion designer was like...yeah, but in new york, sometimes the new clothes are cheaper than the thrift clothes...and she was right...in some cases, you could get super cheap new stuff...cheaper than $9 thrift store cords...

fast forward 10 years...and I have a similar comment...new christmas merch can be cheaper than the stuff at the thrift stores...I was at a goodwill in downtown san diego yesterday, as part of my "day in under-travelled san diego"...and I found a bunch of fake Christmas trees on sale for ridiculous prices...really...$35 bucks for a mediocre fake, used, and kinda beat up tree? are you kidding me? been to WalMart lately? new trees abound for well under $35 dollars. And you might even find one that is "pre strung" with lights...in fact, that seems to be the norm now...you have to hunt around a bit to find the non-strung trees...but they are there...and they are WAY cheaper than freaking $35.

how do I know all this????

stay tuned to find out...wink wink

***The WalMart dilemma never seems to go away...unless you just never walk in the door and never do comprehensive Web searches for products...

4 commenti:

onelulu ha detto...

ciao daniel, Amazon just sent you the car seat for ernesto... i think tomorrow will arrive! grazie. ciao

Anonimo ha detto...

perfeto! -daniel

W ha detto...

I must say, Wal-Mart came in handy for cheap Halloween accessories. Thanks China!

Daniel ha detto...

China is really good about helping us celebrate our holidays. In fact, Santa has moved his operations to Beijing.