martedì 16 settembre 2008

Happy Birthday from Infinite Jest

Happy Birthday Matt! Wow, what a year you and Ches have had. AMAZING.

Here is what I read at the end of my yoga class tonight. I thought it would make a decent Happy-Birthday-Matt literary card...here goes...from pg 128 of david foster wallace's infinite jest.

The guru on the towel dispenser just sits there and smiles and doesn't say anything. They hunker, then, and grimace, and try to pull the bar down, but, like, lo: the overweighted shoulder-pull becomes a chin-up. Up they go, their own bodies, toward the bar they're trying to pull down. Everyone should get at least one good look at the eyes of a man who finds himself rising toward what he wants to pull down to himself. And I like how the guru on the towel dispenser doesn't laugh at them, or even shake his head sagely on its big brown neck. He just smiles, hiding his tongue. He's like a baby. Everything he sees hits him and sinks without bubbles. He just sits there. I want to be like that. Able to just sit all quiet and pull life toward me...

Nessun commento: