sabato 4 ottobre 2008

"where did the last week go?" asked the beef.

where did the last week go?

i don't know.

Did I learn to paint and weld?

That list of to-do's...was it felled?

no and no

and still, last week, boy did it go.

the sun came up, the market went down

an extra 700 billion we miraculously found.

the world kept moving round and round.

and i sat here. ground beef. a pound.

a pound of ground, that's what I am.

not green eggs and ham, not sam i am.

I looked up from my whole foods case

into starring eyes on a la-jolla-lady face.

she chose a steak right next to me.

she didn't check the price. it's all about free.

when you have enough cash to never ask prices

and you hire someone to tell you what arborio rice is...

...silence...

how the hell do I know what she was thinking? she just starred into the case and pointed at a steak. And then she left. She walked over to the hot seafood bar, which if you ask me, stinks. I've been sitting in this case for the last year. Nobody buys me because I slink around at night and always look like the freshest meat in the morning, which means they sell the others in the case not me. I just hang out and watch the meat come in and out of the case. I don't have the numbers on just how much is sold and how much is thrown out...but the ratio ain't pretty. there is a lot of waste.

My favorite thing about life in the case is hanging out with the garnish kale. they always have funny stories they overheard from the migrant workers who pick them. One of them even managed to sneak in the sexy sprig of cilantro he was banging. Those two garnished like there was no tomorrow...for about a week...and then there was no tomorrow for them. they got tossed, like all the rest of them. I don't know why I'm able to look fresh every morning. But i'm not complaining. I'm just learning as much as I can while i'm here, and occasionally at night i'm able to sneak out and hop on the laptop back in the office and update this blog.

the word on the street is that Sarah Palin is a homophobic politician who wants creationism taught in schools. Now, I know i'm just a pound of beef. But it doesn't take a filet mignon to know that this is some fucked up shit. What right does she have to say that gay people don't deserve the same rights as others? And creationism? Are you kidding me? In this day and age? Just because I was grass fed doesn't mean that I think my former stomach's abilitiy to break down cellulose and turn it into something useful just popped out of no where on day 3 or 4.

i've got some serious beefs with Palin, and my beefs have nothing to do with my own beef identity.

2 commenti:

Kelly O ha detto...

29 more days until we know what happens. I'm on pins and needles.

Anonimo ha detto...

Ah, Sarah Palin.

Did you ever think the Republicans could succeed in picking another George W. Bush? Is there any better proof that that lot is all stocked up on crazy?

"But it's an improvement!" they cry. "This George's got breasts!"

I have to say, I'm a little torn between hoping the Mavericks are trounced in an absolutely mortifying defeat and hoping that Sarah Palin wins so we all - especially Tina Fey - can keep making fun of her.

Sometimes you just gotta put good humor before the national interest.