venerdì 8 maggio 2009

G*d is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy

It's true. For the last two weeks, when I drive around in the car by myself (which happens since I live in San Diego), I've been listening to "new" country music on the radio...commercial radio...remember that?

For years, I was rigidly against this strange hybrid of real country music, pop music, right wing propaganda, sexism, xenophobia, heter-ONLY! society, and Americana-rha-rha-rha! But now, it also amuses me...for a variety of reasons that operate on a different levels.

I have this idea of going on a new-country-music radio binge...at least 12 hours straight...taking notes all the while...collecting strings on the similarities of topics that come up in the songs. What draws me to the lyrics are the fascinating contradictions...three songs praising god, followed by a song about being increadibly slutty, followed by a pro-military song, followed by a song that manages to mix all previous categories into one song, followed by a song in which the word "suds" is sung in such a charming way that I can't help but smile.

If you're still with me...listen or watch and listen (he is awful easy on the eyes) to Billy Currington sing about how "G*d is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy"...and I have to give Billy a little credit...

two out of three ain't bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrogegV1lw

2 commenti:

Sarah Sieminski ha detto...

are the "suds" you are talking about from the sara evans song where she says "suds in the bucket and the clothes hanging out on the line"? julia loves that song. she actually sings along to a lot of sara evens music. and yes, country music is funny and sometimes uncomfortable but i love it anyway!

Daniel ha detto...

yup...you're totally right! that's the song.