martedì 19 maggio 2009

Ashtanga yoga guru died yesterday

Pattabhi Jois died on Monday. He is one of the most influential and successful proponents and nurturers of Ashtanga yoga and one of the early yogis to bring yoga to the West.

He inspired and deeply influenced nearly all or maybe all of my current and past yoga teachers...you can do the "Kevin Bacon" game with pretty much any yogi, and way before seven connections, you are back to Pattabhi Jois.

Thanks Pattabhi! You taught David Swenson who taught Margaret Townsend who was my first yoga teacher. You taught Tim Miller who is my teacher and who taught Sean O'Shea who will inspire me as long as I live, even though he did in a car accident over 2 years ago. Tim Miller also taught so many other amazing yogis and teachers in San Diego and around the world, I can't possibly name them all.

I only practiced with Pattabhi once...in a huge Manhattan loft space at 6 in the morning on a Sunday three years and a couple of months ago. I'm glad I made the trip.

Nessun commento: