sabato 18 agosto 2012

body surf leg cramp

Last evening, after work, I put on my wetsuit (right-side out this time) and jumped in the ocean. The water was colder and the waves were bigger than I expected.  Lots of dudes were body surfing last night, including a couple of nice guys who were happy to chat a bit.

This week, I've been happy swimming in the surf, dodging waves by ducking under them, and doing my best to embrace my inner otter (nature-show definition). But last night, I got back into the game of trying to actually body surf...ride the waves.

The second or third big wave I caught came with a surprise. My right calf muscle went into spasm just as I caught the crest of the wave and felt the power of the ocean pick me up and carry me towards shore. I didn't have much use for my calf at the second, but soon I found myself in the surf, swimming back to the sand with my right leg extended and non-responsive due to spasm. This the kind of spasm I usually get in the middle of the night, and maybe once during a yoga class. I'm just glad it didn't happen when the waves were bigger, or the waves were rolling in at a higher frequency.

I was having such a good time prior to the calf cramp, that I regrouped in the shallow froth and massaged my calf through the wetstuit until it released enough for me to get back out in the waves.

Nessun commento: